So you’ve decided that a virtual private server is the way to go for your business. Awesome! Control, privacy, dedicated resources, ridiculously fast hardware. Do I need a fast Windows VPS or a Linux VPS? Wait… What? If you have no idea what I’m talking about – read on!
Now that you’ve certain that a VPS is what you need, it’s time to make your next VPS hosting decision – what type of operating system is best for you?
You have two OS options: either Linux or Windows. They are similar in a lot of ways and cover the same basic functions, such as allowing you to store your data, run applications and scale up your resources as needed – in a nutshell – what a VPS is all about. But there are some pretty important differences between the two as well, so let’s take a look in a little more detail at the pros and cons of Windows and Linux to aid with your decision making process.
Choosing a Fast Windows VPS or Linux VPS. Help me decide!
You have definitely heard of open source software. Linux is the computer operating system that was developed under the model of free distribution and collaboration right from the get-go. It’s known for its innovation, security, stability and performance. Did you know that it has been adapted for more computer hardware platforms than any other operating system? (Thanks wiki).
- A cheaper alternative. Since Linux is open source, you don’t have to worry about costs associated with licensing fees, or having any kind of special software to run with it.
- Works seamlessly with other open source programming languages, like PHP for example, as well as open source applications.
- A whole bunch of OS options (so-called Distributions) such as CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu amongst others.
- If you’re a fan of cPanel, then you need to go with a Linux VPS.
- Thanks to its SSH Access, there is less server load than its Windows counterpart that uses a graphical interface, and you get better control.
- A Linux VPS is managed via SSH which is not as easy or intuitive as the Windows interface.
So in summary, a Linux VPS is perfect for businesses that love open source, want a budget friendly option and have the tech skills on hand to manage the server.
A Windows VPS runs on, well, Windows, Microsoft’s proprietary OS.
- A Windows VPS environment is easier to manage if you don’t have a ton of technical or IT skills in house. It boasts a more familiar GUI or graphical interface. It’s really easy to use – any Windows user will feel comfortable.
- If you’re developing in ASP or ASP.NET, the Windows environment is all about integration and support for these scripts.
- Ideal for users with a MS SQL database. It kinda makes sense that since they are from the same company they work perfectly together, right?
- Lots of support from Microsoft, such as regular and seamless updates when time comes.
- More expensive. Windows is, obviously, a commercial system owned by Microsoft, so you’ve got to pay them for it.
- Not as strong as Linux is in terms of integration with open source programming languages.
- Will not work with the cPanel and other control panels.
So in summary, if your business relies heavily on Microsoft programs and software, a Windows VPS is specifically designed to work best with the Microsoft platform.
Hopefully the above gets you to a place where you now know for sure which type of virtual private server is right for you. If you’re ready to rock, click to view our various Fast Windows VPS and Linux VPS plans and learn more about all the good stuff that makes our virtual private servers so insanely popular.
If you’re still not 100% sure and thinking, jeez, I sure wish I had an expert to help me make the right decision, are you ever in the right place. Each and every team member at SharkServers is an expert in hosting and we’re always happy to share our knowledge. Get in touch with us and we’ll help you decide which type of VPS hosting plan is the ideal fit for your needs.